Wednesday 19 October 2011

Muesli Tuesday - Vanilla maple cherry berry muesli

I love muesli, actually scratch that I love good muesli and good muesli is very hard to find. Most brands that I have tried have been too oily, too dry, packed full of sugar and worst of all packed full of sultanas or raisons as fillers (which is my own special idea of hell)! Hmmm. Maybe I should start with a little context for my little muesli rant:


Last week my lovely Mum very generously took my sister-in-law, my brother's partner and I away to a swanky health retreat in the Hunter Valley. While the meals for lunch and dinner were difficult to appreciate (I like a little flavour in my food thankyouverymuch!) the mueslis at breakfast were delicious. So when I returned home suddenly my crappy commercial off-the-shelf muesli wasn't going to cut it anymore which means that I need to make my own.


In the past I have made my own granola which although delicious uses a very large amount of sugar to almost caramel coat the grains. Not good, especially with the amount of tasting I need to do for Sugar Egg Flour!



So as always, when faced with a culinary challenge, I turned to the internet looking for some good ideas on how to make muesli. With these basic guidelines in mind and an idea of what I like in a muesli this is what I came up with:


Vanilla maple cherry berry muesli
Makes: heaps!


Roast mix:
1kg rolled oats
500g rolled spelt
500g rolled barley
1C large coconut flakes
1/2C LSA (a ground up combination of linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds)
1/2C whole sunflower seeds
2C psyllium husk
400g raw macadamia halves
500g raw almonds (pulsed in food processor until broken into large chunks)
3/4C pure maple syrup
2T vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract NOT vanilla essence)
1/3C canola or rice bran oil


Preheat oven to 140 degrees Celsius. Mix everything together in a really big bowl then spread on to baking sheets and bake for 20 minutes, mix, then bake for a further 20minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.


Fruit mix:
500g dried sour cherries
500g dried blueberries
500g dried cranberries
1/2C chia seeds


Add the fruit mix to the roasting mix and combine well. Store in airtight containers. 
Tadaa!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mel,

    I can vouch for your muesli as I had it for a yummy breakafst with some organic yoghurt this morning and it was delicious!

    And really healthy and packed with nutrients and goodness.

    Keep exploring new recipes - you certainly are gifted.

    Cheers,
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete